homestead - [Homestead] growing popcorn

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT gmail.com>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] growing popcorn
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 16:21:34 -0400

OK all you corn farmers out there...here's a quick question about popcorn...

I've grown several varieties before, but dh wants to grow the plain yellow popcorn that came in the plastic bag from WM. What we got was a bit stale, and the moisture wasn't right, but the flavor was okay. Instead of eating the rest of it, dh wants to plant it. I did a germination test and got 90%-yeah, from WM bag popcorn. Amazing....I'm trying to convince myself that it is not a Monsanto product. We eat a lot of popcorn.

Does anyone know definitively what variety of yellow popcorn is commonly grown and sold to Walmart?

If not, does anyone have a guess as to how many 'days' it would take to mature? I am growing sweet corn that is 84-87 days, and a dent corn that is 120. The sweet corn is planted, the dent corn is not, yet. I hope to do that today, but had this last minute request for popcorn instead.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson