homestead - Re: [Homestead] growing popcorn

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] growing popcorn
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 19:51:03 EDT

In a message dated 4/17/2010 4:22:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
erthnsky AT gmail.com writes:

> >Does anyone know definitively what variety of yellow popcorn is commonly
> grown and sold to Walmart?

No, but I can defintely tell you that it is hybrid. There is almost no
commercial popcorn that is not hybrid.

> >If not, does anyone have a guess as to how many 'days' it would take to
> mature? I am growing sweet corn that is 84-87 days, and a dent corn
> that is 120.

Many types of popcorn are 150 days. It grows very slowly and must dry on
the stalk to be of any benefit.

Two sources of OP popcorn are:

Seedsmen such as Baker Creek which carries two varieties, a red and a
black. Nichols carries it and so do a number of others.

And (although this might not be a good source in the spring) many of those
fall ornaments are made of cobs of OP popcorn.

James</HTML>