homestead - Re: [Homestead] I guess I am committed or should be.

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] I guess I am committed or should be.
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 07:55:14 -0700

Tim Oppenheim wrote:
Don,

Congrats! That's a great area. You will soon have a great rock collection : )

Since you studied so much real estate. What were prices looking like?
Prices were all over the place. Bare land ranged around $2000 an acre. Larger acreage was cheaper. Most of the bare land needed a well (approx $10,000) and power brought in. Houses were all over the place. A new mobile with a shop on 5 open acres ready to move in was $70,000 while a poorly built and not completed log cabin on 38 mostly wooded acres was $130,000 and needed a good share of the existing work torn out. An uncompleted house on 10 wooded acres was listed for $67,000 and needed maybe $30,000 more to complete. A smallish house that would be very difficult to expand with no shop, on 17 wooded acres was just under $100,000. Another place on 10 open acres, finished house but weird, big shop, big hay barn, was $137,000. Another place on 15 acres, with no shop was $125,000. And so it went, somewhat discouraging.

--
Don Bowen KI6DIU