homestead - Re: [Homestead] Challenge

  • From: Marie McHarry <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Challenge
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 12:42:10 -0500

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 12:55 AM, Lynda <lurine AT com-pair.net> wrote:
> The baby won't pay for the gambling of the parents.  The press will either
> guilt the insurance company into giving them a policy or the docs will over
> to do the surgery or people will collect money or someone will donate a big
> sum of money.

I finally saw some coverage of this story. The baby got its surgery. I
gather from what I saw that within hours of birth.

I doubt the parents went without insurance if they could afford it.
Having run a couple of small businesses, I know how hard it is to dig
up the money to insure adults. For starters, most people over the age
of 25 have some kind of pre-existing illness.

I have good insurance (at least as I type): it's self-funded by the
State of Illinois and administered through Cigna. I'm assuming the
state has set the guidelines. So, most people -- even those with hard
line views -- will keep on getting their health care need.