homestead - Re: [Homestead] Musings on Healthy Eating, Appetites, and the Mind

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Musings on Healthy Eating, Appetites, and the Mind
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 16:42:21 EST

> >But what I see is someone who actually has
> no concept of what it is that she is eating. It may be something similar
> to the anorexic who looks in the mirror and sees a fat person.

There's a family member who has been morbidly obese her whole life.
There's a picture at a family gathering where she is standing in front of the
open
refrigerator and it looks like an aura around her, that is, you can't see
any of the refrigerator.

Yet her perception is that she doesn't eat much. A couple of years ago at
a typical Appalachian wake, people had brought all and sundry to the family
and among that was half a doxen nearly identical coconut pies. Said woman
went about the room visiting (some people never get to see each other except
at funerals) with a small desert plate and one piece of coconut pie. It
looked to the casual observer that she was nursing that one modest slice of
pie
all evening. Herself who was parked near the desert table casually
observed with the tail of her eye .... she had refilled the plate and eaten
nine
slices of pie.

It's much like the discussions about generating electricity from the motion
of a rocking chair or from dewfall. The numbers just don't lie that much.
A person at full rest requires about 15 calories per pound just to carry on
the basal metabolic functions. That figure varies some by age, sex, and a
few other considerations, but it doesn't vary all that much. Oddly, very
obese people higher basal metabolic rate than thin people. So someone who
maintains a weight of 300 lbs is eating somewhere around 4500 calories a day
just to maintain all their body's tissues alive. Just like there is no magic
stationary bicycle that can power your entire 200A service with a brisk
workout, there is no such thing as the very obese human being who is not
eating
enough calories to maintain that obesity.

Several studies have shown that when people monitor their own food intake,
they invariably report much less food consumed than if an observer monitors
the same thing. They genuinely believe they are not eating that much.

I belabor this only to point out that ridding oneself of denial is
essential to ever getting a handle on it.

James</HTML>