homestead - [Homestead] Musings on Healthy Eating, Appetites, and the Mind

  • From: Gloria Morris <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Musings on Healthy Eating, Appetites, and the Mind
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 14:45:40 -0600

We had dinner with an older friend last evening. She told us that she is considering bariatric surgery. She is over-weight, but not morbidly obese. She has some pretty serious arthritis which has limited her mobility in recent years, and her activity level has been reduced. She's gone from very active and slim to less active and over-weight.

She says she has tried to lose weight for a couple of years, without success. It is her perception that she does not eat much. But she ate considerably more than I did as we ate. Given her reduced activity level and an appetite that remains at a level that would have sustained her at her previously high activity level, it is no wonder that she has a weight issue.

I did not point out to her what she consumed. I did not want to be rude. And, I don't believe she would have believed me if I had been rude and confronted her with reality. Her perception is that she does not eat much, and that is what she believes. I'm fairly certain that confronting her with contrary evidence would do little to convince her otherwise.

I hate to think of her undergoing such a severe and risky surgery. What I foresee is her going through the surgery, and then re-stretching what stomach is left to hold that same "little bit" that she eats now. Sad. It sounds like high risk for no long-term benefit.

It is easy to blame those who are over-weight, and accuse them of having too little will-power, etc. But what I see is someone who actually has no concept of what it is that she is eating. It may be something similar to the anorexic who looks in the mirror and sees a fat person. Her perception seems to be different from the reality that a healthy person sees. The brain has such an interesting way of viewing reality.

All I can say is that I feel very fortunate right now that I am not struggling with weight issues (either from an obesity or an anorexic viewpoint). At present, my mind is healthy enough to perceive an appropriately full plate for my needs, to perceive a feeling of fullness at an appropriate time, and to crave things like vegetables, which are healthy for me (not that I don't also crave an occasional cherry pie, or dish of goat milk pudding, but I don't seem to do so in excess).

My major failing is coffee. I love the stuff. And tea. Basically, I'm a caffeine junkie. :)

But it could be worse. A lot worse.

Gloria