homestead - Re: [Homestead] OT: Thunderbird and Gmail Problem - Follow-Up Issue

  • From: Gloria Morris <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] OT: Thunderbird and Gmail Problem - Follow-Up Issue
  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 10:21:07 -0600

All has been going swimmingly well, using T-bird. It is collecting my received emails from my online account and deleting the online copies. That part is going perfectly.

But I have one, small, nagging problem. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get Gmail to stop hording my sent mails, which I am sending using T-bird. I have to go into the online account and delete them. That somewhat defeats one of the purposes of using T-bird: security of information. I want to avoid storing emails on-line. I've used other on-line email services which allow one to disable storing a copy of sent emails. But if Gmail allows for the disabling of saving copies of sent emails, they have hidden the feature fairly well. Does anyone know a way to stop the automatic online storage of sent emails? I'm beginning to understand why privacy advocates hate Google. Google seems to want to store all info on every person from around the world (and such a database would be very valuable, I'm sure). I suppose that may be one reason Google promotes IMAP over POP - with IMAP they get to keep copies of everything.

Gloria