homestead - Re: [Homestead] OT: Thunderbird and Gmail Problem

  • From: Mark Stutzman <mark AT transvantage.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] OT: Thunderbird and Gmail Problem
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 13:11:50 -0500

Hi Gloria-

I don't think you need to move any emails currently on your computer. When you set up a new account in Thunderbird, there's an option (which is checked by default) to "use Global inbox". Just set up a new POP account in Thunderbird, leave "use Global inbox" checked, and point it at your existing GMail account. Then, you can delete the old IMAP account from Thunderbird, and your new mail should start flowing into your existing inbox. We have 2 email domains here at work, and I've currently got mail from both going into the same TBird inbox.

Also, in the event that you are worried about making a mistake and losing stuff, there's a free utility called MozBackup that you can use to back up your entire Thunderbird install, before you start messing around. I used it last year when my SO replaced her desktop machine with a laptop, and I needed to move all her stuff over. Works like a champ. As a bonus, if you use other Mozilla products, like Firefox, you can back up those settings and data as well. You can download here:

http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

-mark

Gloria Morris wrote:
Howdy, all!

I realize this is a off-topic, although related to our recent discussion of rural communications. As a result of that conversation, I decided to give Thunderbird a try. I like it generally - it does not lock up my computer the way Outlook did. And I love the tabs - I can have several emails open at once, which is a needed feature for me.

One reason I've been dissatisfied with Gmail is because I've become concerned about the security (and privacy) of storing emails on-line. This is particularly of concern when dealing with client information, but it is also a concern with personal information as well. Since some homesteaders also have privacy concerns, I suppose I can say this is distantly on topic to the list! LOL! Anyway, I needed a means to store email on my computer that did not lock up my computer the way Outlook did. Thunderbird might be the answer if I can solve my current problem.

During the set-up for Gmail, T-bird chose IMAP. I believe this may be the root of my problem. But I am unsure now how to resolve it. Any help would be appreciated.

I had many individual files on my Gmail account. T-Bird picked them all up automatically and downloaded the emails. All was going well, and I was pleased. Then, I went into Gmail online and removed all labels and all emails. This is when T-bird stopped functioning. Now, when I want to move an email from my Tbird inbox to a folder, Tbird gives me an error message that the folder does not exist on Gmail. I tried to resolve this by setting each folder to work off-line, but I still get the error message.

I thought about making a new account in Tbird, and manually setting it up for POP. I think that might solve the problem. Except, I cannot figure out how I would move the current emails on my computer into that account.

Any help would be appreciated!

Gloria
Who is only marginally geeky