homestead - [Homestead] OT: Thunderbird and Gmail Problem

  • From: Gloria Morris <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] OT: Thunderbird and Gmail Problem
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 10:10:51 -0600

Howdy, all!

I realize this is a off-topic, although related to our recent discussion of rural communications. As a result of that conversation, I decided to give Thunderbird a try. I like it generally - it does not lock up my computer the way Outlook did. And I love the tabs - I can have several emails open at once, which is a needed feature for me.

One reason I've been dissatisfied with Gmail is because I've become concerned about the security (and privacy) of storing emails on-line. This is particularly of concern when dealing with client information, but it is also a concern with personal information as well. Since some homesteaders also have privacy concerns, I suppose I can say this is distantly on topic to the list! LOL! Anyway, I needed a means to store email on my computer that did not lock up my computer the way Outlook did. Thunderbird might be the answer if I can solve my current problem.

During the set-up for Gmail, T-bird chose IMAP. I believe this may be the root of my problem. But I am unsure now how to resolve it. Any help would be appreciated.

I had many individual files on my Gmail account. T-Bird picked them all up automatically and downloaded the emails. All was going well, and I was pleased. Then, I went into Gmail online and removed all labels and all emails. This is when T-bird stopped functioning. Now, when I want to move an email from my Tbird inbox to a folder, Tbird gives me an error message that the folder does not exist on Gmail. I tried to resolve this by setting each folder to work off-line, but I still get the error message.

I thought about making a new account in Tbird, and manually setting it up for POP. I think that might solve the problem. Except, I cannot figure out how I would move the current emails on my computer into that account.

Any help would be appreciated!

Gloria
Who is only marginally geeky