homestead - Re: [Homestead] onion question

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] onion question
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 09:56:33 -0600

Leslie, thanks for asking. We've had more mist than rain, but enough rain back in October to recharge our well enough to shower inside the house again. My skin is so thankful! We also installed a low flush toilet so we don't have to carry 5 gal 40 lb bucket every time. Since I work from home and drink a lot of tea and coffee, you should see my biceps from carrying water every couple hours! Not only am I saving the planet with the new toilet, I'm saving my BACK! LOL.

We continue to do our laundry in town (it's an event!) and dishes by hand in the sulphur water provided by our neighbor's hose (this has proven detrimental to my plates, we seem to break or crack something every week! I'm planning a mosaic).

Like you, we are pouring over seed catalogs. It's really hard to plan not knowing our water situation so we're trying to scale back to just the kitchen garden and regular vegetable garden, leaving our pumpkin patch, 100 tomatoes, and experimental grain plots across the creek lay fallow this year. We are renovating several rooms in our house so this will be a good distraction as we wait for rainy days. We just replaced all our 80 year old pipes and I am not used to having real water pressure, which makes me nervous since I feel like more precious water is being wasted!

I think carrots are also biennials, so you will have to leave a couple in the ground to get seed. Our soil is so rocky our carrots come out looking gnarly-scary and I haven't found time to sieve the soil for a better turn out. Since organic carrots are one of the few organics locally available I think it's better to grow something I can't get.

Sounds like you have a happy bunny running around!

--Sage

Leslie wrote:
They were from RH Shumway. 02791A Yellow Sweet Spanish. I still have a lot of seeds left and will be starting some of them indoors this weekend.
Some of them I grew in a plastic baby pool filled with dirt & compost. I planted them too close together I think, and those came out about 1/2 the diameter of the ones I planted in the garden a bit further apart.
I'm probably having beginners luck........ I'm still eating watermelon that I
harvested back in October. I just put them on a wooden board in the garage
in a cool spot. It probably never gets over 45 these days where they're
sitting. Still eating squash too, which are sitting next to the melons. I
had no idea that I wouldn't have to can or freeze some off this stuff. Even
though the onions were indoors, they've been kept fairly cool also, as I only
use enough heat to keep the temps from freezing inside. Guess my nordic
heritage is coming thru.... nahhh, it's Bev's fault for posting about the
laplanders living without heat in the artic.... in skin tents to boot. If
they could do it, I can too.

The seed catalogs are coming in, and I feel like a kid in a candy shop..... wanting to try planting so many different things. I did call one of the companies today, and they sent me a list of the seeds that are provided by my personal "ban" list.
I have no idea if I even purchased a good variety or a bad one, as I had ordered my
seeds before I had even heard of "heirloom" or anything else that is posted
here.

I've been able to harvest some seeds from the easy things (curcubits &
peppers) for next year. I'm buying new seed just in case I didn't do something
right, as a backup plan.

I need to figure out where to harvest seeds from some things... like carrots. I never noticed any seeds on the plants.

I have potatoes with eyes on them sprouting too. I hope they hang in there
until it is time to plant in the spring. I haven't been eating them on
purpose for seed.

I do hope it warms up a bit this weekend so I can do some cleanup and prep
work in the gardens. It's been colder than it was last year that is for sure.

Are you getting rain/snow your way this winter? I've been wondering if you're
getting enough to help recharge your well. We had 4-5" here not too long
ago. The soil just under the surface is still wet from when it melted. I
couldn't believe the broccoli was still growing afterwards,,,,, except I forgot to
close the garden gate, and the rabbits..... well they got a nice green new years
present.