homestead - Re: [Homestead] onion question

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] onion question
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 20:08:51 -0800 (PST)

I grew it from seed.  :-)

I could try planting it in a deep pot, and protect it from the cold .... and
try for seeds????

Day time temps range from 45-65 here, but overnight has been going before 32
degrees most nights.... figure the would  needs deep mulch and maybe plastic
overnight????

> >Should I just eat them, or can I plant them?
> Will they grow into onions this year and give me seeds???  (None of them
> seeded last year, these were grown from seed,)

Remember that onions are dedicated biennials.  You did not mention whether
you grew the onions from seed, slips, or sets.  If from sets, the onions'
growth last summer was their second year.  If from slips or seeds, it was
their first year.  In this latter case the onions' plan is to grow a big
bulb,
go dormant, and then the next season go to seed using the nutrition stored
in bulb.

You onion that is now sprouting is going for broke in what it deems to be
its second year.  It will put up a seed stalk as soon as it can and try to
bloom and set seeds.  That is, here in January the odds are, alas, against it.

Might do it, though, if the weather moderates here rather profoundly.

James
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/cayadopi%40yahoo.com