homestead - Re: [Homestead] Grafting

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Grafting
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 20:12:52 -0500

> This tree was pretty much the reason why we bought this farm. Never mind
> all
> the good reasons why one should buy a farm or not, the tree sold us.
>
> Thanks again, may call on you next Spring for thoughts/advice. :)

Good to hear from you, Lisa. You should graft that tree. I'd like to try so
if you can spare a couple of pieces of scion wood, I'd be glad to try. I
would send you one tree back once it's started (the next year).

I'd highly recommend that you look at the workshop at Virginia Vintage
Apples. They also sell good rootstock. The workshops for 2010 are 2/13 and
27. It's only $25 per person and you walk away with 2 grafted trees.

I'd start a couple of grafts from that tree on semi dwarf rootstock and a
couple more on standard. That way you'd get some fruit sooner on the smaller
trees and replace the tree for the next generation with the standard.

That's basically the same thing I am doing for my grandmother's homestead.
It's been in her family for 200 years or more. She'll be happy that
something she enjoyed is going to be there for the next generation.

Rob - Va