homestead - Re: [Homestead] Grafting

  • From: Lisa Kae Van Meter Perry <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Grafting
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 11:30:42 -0500

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 8:41 PM, Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com> wrote:

> One of the things that I miss about the old days on this list, it that
> people (including tvo, but not just him) posted real life experiences on
> lots of homesteading subject matter. Lately, the responses seem to be more
> to point one to a url, or just to say "google it".
>
> I found this url helpful, good drawings:
>
> http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/grafting.html
>

> The whole page has good information, I'm talking about whip and tongue
> grafting (bench grafting) in this post. I'm no expert. I took a workshop on
> bench grafting apples last winter and made some successful grafts. I plan
> do more next spring.

Rob,

Many thanks for this fine post.

We need to take graftings (correct term?) from our STayman Winesap apple
tree. It's over a century old and is in the process of decaying and possibly
dying from bad cuts (not ours--prior to our time) and natural old age. We
have to remove two huge limbs this winter (must cut them off the trunk--the
wounds will take many years to heal), have been told after doing so that the
tree then has a 50/50 shot to continue to live. Made us sick to hear the
news but we knew something serious was wrong. It only half-leafed out this
past Spring.

This tree was pretty much the reason why we bought this farm. Never mind all
the good reasons why one should buy a farm or not, the tree sold us.

Thanks again, may call on you next Spring for thoughts/advice. :)

Lisa