homestead - Re: [Homestead] What's more important?

  • From: DSanner106 AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] What's more important?
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:50:47 EDT

If you are feared, you can afford to be liked. By this I mean, for example,
the biggest kid
on the block can be nice to whomever he wants, be relaxed all the time, let
his guard down
and not worry about what others think. The weaker you are, the less
everyone else fears you
the more on guard you are all the time. You have to measure your words and
have to try
really hard to be friends with all the right people. If you have to make
friends with everyone
else that means making concessions and giving them all sorts of things.

The fine line that must be walked though, is that the nicer you are, the
more concessions
you make, the more you capitulate, the weaker your image becomes. Others
begin to assume
you are doing this because you are afraid to confront them and they start
to demand things
and begin trying to bully you. This is why the image of Obama in Russia and
Iran is that he
is a weakling President. Leaders in both countries have weighed in with
that opinion.

In short, you need a measure of both. speak softly and carry a big stick is
still as appropriate
today as it was in Roosevelts day.

Drew

In a message dated 9/22/2009 5:31:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,