homestead - Re: [Homestead] [BULK] Texas Drought

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] [BULK] Texas Drought
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 08:38:40 -0500

Our closest neighbor who just put in the deeper well has passed a hose with a shutoff valve through our fence where are main garden is. Since that irrigation line is closed and buried, I'm having to use a sprinkler to move water around. The irrigation to the pumpkin/squash/melon patch across our dry creek is already connected to a hose, so I just have to connect this hose to that one. As for the house and animals, I fill 5 gallon buckets with the hose and haul them where I need them. My husband just finished an outdoor shower last night, I'll post pics on the blog later this morning. The deeper well is sulfurous. So we are buying drinking/cooking water at the store.

Since the drought (and chickens) have done away with the smaller plant life along our formerly lush creekside, we do worry about erosion should we get a flood. We've talked about putting in a rainwater harvesting system in the past, but in retrospect that would have been absolutely useless to us these last 24 months. I think we are going to have to save up for a deeper well or move to greener pastures once my husband retires.

--Sage

Robert Walton wrote:
Today was the first day we did not break 100, it was only 97 and that,
sadly, felt good. Fall usually doesn't get here until October. Unless a
hurricane gets into the gulf, I don't know if we'll get rain.
Considering I've been through the 2002 and 2004 "500 year" floods where
I saw 29 inches of rain in a day, this is so weird. It's either feast or
famine.

--Sage

How are you getting water without the well?

I'm sorry to hear about all the water problems there. We had 2 years of
drought here, but no to that extent. You are right about feast of famine.
This year it's rained so well and I'd cut way back on animals in the pasture
and planted a lot less than the last two years.

Hopefully the drought will break for you soon, a storm would be nice if it
does not flood.

Rob - Va