homestead - Re: [Homestead] tobacco

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] tobacco
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 15:06:06 EDT

I've never used tobacco, but growing up in the Southern Appalachians, I
have been called upon to work in tobacco in very stage of its production.
The
article's chronology of starting the seeds in March is waaayy too late.
January is more like it.

> >1. seeds are hard to find

Only if you don't live in a tobacco producing area. Here they are in all
the seed'n'feeds in the winter.

>> 2. climate and soil really make a difference in this crop

Absolutely, you can't grow it just anywhere and actually get a crop.

>> 3. it takes up a LOT of space

Hmm I dunno. How much tobacco does one person consume in a year? One
plant can yield eight to twelve pounds if the that plant is babied and
closely
attended.

>> 4. it has to be aged in the right temperature and humidity, think
> cheese-making, and it is hard to find that perfect spot.

But not much more difficult really than hay making. Here tobacco cures
naturally, but in the even more humid costal areas they have tobacco barns
with
flues to keep a low fire and cure the leaves artifically.

Tobacco is more abusive of the ground than any other crop except maybe
cotton. High yields means a lot of fertility lost.

Nasty stuff at best.

James