homestead - Re: [Homestead] The future of eldercare in the US

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The future of eldercare in the US
  • Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 13:15:32 -0700 (PDT)

On schizophrenia, my brother has that.  It is a permanently disabled type of
diagnosis.  After an involuntarily commitment (initiated by police), on
release, the social workers informed me that he would qualify for SSD.  My
mom just filled out some forms, and I believe there is a verification process.

He has rarely worked in his life (just on/off from 18-20) as he is truly
unable to hold a job, even back then when the disease wasn't as bad as now.
There is a form that a guardian fills out that the SSA sends out, to continue
confirming that he is Perm. Disabled.

>From what I remember, the SSA has a list on their website about
>qualifications for SSD by illness.  I.E. My sister was immediately stage 4
>cancer - even though she discovered it immediately (it is really rare, and
>life expectancy is short).  However, Even though under their own rules she
>should have been SSD qualified, they wiggled out of it.  She was under chemo
>& radiation for a year, plus surgery smack in the middle of that, unable to
>work, and still didn't qualify. She had to high such high doses of chemo
>because of the kind of cancer and that the dose was related to square inches
>of skin (and she has a lot of skin)... that she spent most of the year in
>bed, and I found her somewhat incoherent much off the time.   It was odd
>that SS wouldn't qualify her, in fact to me a rip off, since she paid in all
>her life.  She probably should have gotten a SS lawyer to be honest, for the
>time period she was unable to work.

I think the answer to your question, is whether someone is qualified as a
permanent disabled, like your sister & my brother, or temporarily disabled.
I don't think it relates to credits earned.  I think it relates to the level
of disability.  I.E. let's say you can't walk, but can you sit and answer
phones?  Fine, go answer phones, nevermind that you're a chemist, you can
still do something..type of response from them.

Still, I'd go read the SSA website on disability, and see what tips you can
find....  I'd bet the SSA is just like private insurance companies,,,, "tell
'em no, and see if they go away"