homestead - Re: [Homestead] The future of eldercare in the US

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The future of eldercare in the US
  • Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 17:22:54 -0400

Thanks for spelling it out for me, Lynda. I was indeed confused. You are right about the abuse, too.

Lynda wrote:
You're not missing anything, dear, simply confused because all these programs have acronyms that are too similar. O.K., short coarse on SSR Retirement, SSD (SS Disability) and SSI (Supplemental Security Income).

Everyone is inclined to confuse two seperate programs SSD = Social
Security Disability. That is what you doesn't have enough "credits" to get.
To get "disability", as some folks refer to it, you have to have earned 40
credits in 10 years *consecutive* years and it must have been done within
"x" number of years before applying.

SSI = Supplemental Security Income. That is a form of welfare and personal
wealth minimums are part of the qualifications. Folks who are disabled or
over 65 and don't have enough "credits" to get SS or SSD "can" apply for SSI
if they "have limited income and resources" just like regular welfare. This
money does NOT come out of the money folks pay into Social Security.

It is highly abused! Just because someone has a psych diagnosis does NOT
mean they are unable to do some type of meaningful, gainful employment. The
shrink community consideres it their very own no rules, bank account. For
example, ANYONE who can go to college and carry 12 units is perfectly
capable of going to work! A large % of folks going to college have a psych
diagnosis, collect SSI or SSD, get their PELL and the rest of the "stuff"
that goes along with a free ride. At the end of whenever they decide to
stop being a professional student, they have their doc sign off on a Loan
Discharge Application: Total and Permanent Disability form and their
student loans go away! I mean, poor babies are completely disabled, they
don't have to pay back the loans.

And, before anyone gets their bloomers in a bunch, yes there are folks who
should be on something, just not the way it stands now.

The same also applies to SSD. Some diagnosis get you an auto approval
REGARDLESS of the stage of the disability. For example, Huntington's. It
takes YEARS before someone is incapable of working but the minute you get
the diagnosis, bingo, SSD or SSI.

Sorry, soapbox <g> Too much fraud and legal loopholes mean less benefits
for those that REALLY need them and earned them!

Lynda
The press corp is fact-adverse but very fable friendly.

snip<
Oh, and one unrelated question about healthcare...

I got my SS statement and I do not qualify for disability because I
don't have enough credits in the right period of time. I've worked off
and on throughout my life, for several years at a time, but never
consistently enough to qualify for long term disability.
However, I know people who have never held a job for more than a few
months, who haven't worked in decades, and somehow they get a SS
disability check when they probably haven't paid in enough over their
lifetime to even draw a retirement check. Can someone explain to me how
this happens? My stepsister is mentally ill(schizophrenia) and is a
ward of the state(Arkansas, not GA), she draws a disability check and
that pays for her to live in a group home and her money is managed by
them, I think. It is a good arrangement for her-just what she needs-as
she gets medication cheap and counseling and they do activities and have
group and all kinds of stuff...I know she needs this help, but I can't
but wonder how she qualified for it? I see people all the time going to
docs and getting a doctor to help them get disability. If they haven't
worked and don't have enough credits, like me, how in the world do these
people get disability? What am I missing?