homestead - Re: [Homestead] Volunteers

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Volunteers
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 13:20:57 -0700 (PDT)

Volunteer............. I planted those Mammoth Sunflowers, most range around
8-10' tall with some of the stems the width of my forearm.  Each one has
dutifully put out one huge flower at the top.  The seeds are so swollen and I
can't wait for the time to harvest them.

Except for one oddball............ it is still growing taller and taller and
looks about 12' tall now.... not unusual for the package... except that over
the last week or so it put out these flower shoots the whole way up the
stalk.... there must be 20+ flowers getting ready to open.  Uhhhh,,, OK.  I
wonder what kind of flowers they will be.........

OK, here's my funny NEWBIE GARDENER story of the week.........

I purchased some pumpkin seed from an on-line supplier, and made sure I was
nice and careful and picked out a variety that will produce small sized
pumpkins since I wanted to grow some pumpkins, but not a whole lot.  I
planted 3 seeds and got 3 plants.  Great ! Good start.

About 3 weeks ago I get all excited when I notice my first yelllow little
pumpkin is growing.  I talk to it, pat it, water it each day, and sure enough
that must have worked because it is getting bigger, right on schedule.... or
so I think.   Last weekend I thought for sure it was near full size in
diameter, and I know we should be getting closer to the maturity date.

This week it keeps growing and has doubled in size with no signs of ribbing
or turning orange or anything.  So I'm thinking, well I guess it's going to
get a little bit bigger.

While rummaging around in my seed box I came across the original package
purchased to try to find number of days to maturity, just to double check my
memory,,,, but wait,,,,,,, the package had never been opened.  How could that
be?

I rummage further and I find another seed package for pumpkin, and this one
was open.   Where did this come from?  I don't remember buying it.  The only
thing I notice on the front of the package is that it says "organic" - I
probably grabbed it at Walmart on an impulse....

So I turn it over to see how many days to maturity on this one.  (Since I now
have 9 pumpkins growing and more and more runners with babies every day
waiting for the swarms bees to do their thing - they love these plants...).

Did I mention before that these 3 pumpkin plants are worse than my beans on
steriods?  They now cover an area 20' x 12' with runners going further,
except I keep turning them back.

Well, I turn over the package to get days to maturity, and what do I see????
There in the "fine print" it says, these pumpkins can grow to 6 feet' in
diameter and weigh over 100 pounds !!!!!

LOL... WHAT ????  So much for planting a variety that will only put out SMALL
pumpkins...

Talk about an OOPS !

I've been shelling dried beans today.  So far so good.
More cukes than I know what to do with.

I was surprised at some of the dried beans.  We haven't had rain in forever,
until yesterday when I started to pick the dried pods.... and of course it
decided to finally rain.  When back out today to pick some more, and some of
the dried beans inside the pods decided to sprout !!   Guess I'd better get
back out there and pick a lot more dried beans...  I'm hoping the plants will
put out another round of flowers and repeat....