homestead - [Homestead] Mail Order Chicks

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Mail Order Chicks
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 16:11:25 -0400

Hey all,
I am going to break down and raise a few broilers this year. I think. I went
to a couple of hatchery sites last night and found the they prices are
really high. All but one site was sold out for the next month or more.

Interesting. I've always been able to order some broilers with minimal
scheduling.

I finally got with Moyer's and they have 50 for me at the end of August. 97
cents each, which is higher than normal but lots less than most of the other
hatcheries. I'm not sure what is going on with availability...

I'd though not to raise them anymore because of the cost of feed. I've not
had great luck with setting hens this year (think my rooster is bum), so
decided to break down and order some broilers. They are going to be a luxury
food, that's for sure.

I wanted to order some Delawares to go with them, but all the hatcheries
that I found are out of them. Maybe I'll find a separate source, the
hatcheries prices for them are really high.

Rob - Va

  • [Homestead] Mail Order Chicks, Robert Walton, 07/22/2009