homestead - Re: [Homestead] Butternut Squash

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Butternut Squash
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 12:37:10 -0400

Ironically, perhaps, right now is the time when seeding and transplanting
vegetables yields the most for your effort. Turnips, beets, carrots and the
like planted about now will be maturing up around the onset of much cooler
weather and hold in the garden for months. Cabbage and broccoli seeded now
will endure the first frosts as seedlings and then mature in the early winter
... then hold bug-free in the garden for a long time. Etc.

Yep; as soon as the garlic is out (another week or so), I'm planting beets, lettuce, carrots, Chinese cabbage, and endive in with the already growing parsnips and leeks. Our first frost is usually the end of September, but these will all keep growing for another month or two after that, and will hold in the ground. I'll cover them, then dig them before the deep-freeze hits (I've tried leaving leeks in, but even with cover the ground freezes and I can't pry them out).

I just planted a fall planting of peas. I've never done that, and haven't heard good things (too hot, reduced yield, etc.). They should start producing before the first frost. It's been a cool, wet summer (we are just now getting temps up to 80 degrees), and my peas planted back in April are still producing. Strange year, but the garden is doing surprisingly well.

I wanted to ask if anyone knows what's the deal with carrot germination?? I've never been able to grow carrots, but this year my first and second plantings germinated and look great. Encouraged, I planted more...same seed, same garden bed...3 weeks and not a sign of them. Does it depend on temperature? Moisture? Some combination that I'm not getting right?? If I replant, will they all come up and I'll spend the rest of the summer thinning them? Carrots are going to drive me crazy.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA