homestead - Re: [Homestead] pickled jalepenos with oil?

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] pickled jalepenos with oil?
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 20:00:15 -0800

Peppers are are not an acid veggie. You have to have some vinegar. I don't
have the ratios but unless you have the acid you have to pressure can.

Since Pickle Crisp is no longer available, I use grape leaves. They are organic, AND, they are free <g>

Lynda
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>

Mexican escabeche has a little oil in it. I've bought it canned in the
store. I agree with James, I'd leave the oil out. It really serves no
purpose.
I've got lots of yellow banana peppers. Has anyone canned them to get
peppers like they put on a deli sandwich? The ones I'm thinking about are
not vinegary. I'm thinking they are just canned in water with salt, maybe
little something to keep the crunch.