homestead - Re: [Homestead] pickled jalepenos with oil?

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] pickled jalepenos with oil?
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 17:56:27 EDT

> > It would seem to me that it wouldn't be safe to add so much oil.

It isn't safe. Oil in canned goods like peppers is a case of very little
benefit with some risk. The equation just doesn't work in your favor.

I don't even put oil in the chipotle, just thicken it a little and add
vinegar. I figure, anything I might want to add oil to, I can add it later
when
I'm using it. But as a matter of course, I never put oil in the pepper
sauces or preserved peppers.

This very afternoon I just transplanted the last of the jalapenos and
poblanos for fall peppers. I've got ten more tomato plants to transplant and
that's all (from seed) for this year. I'm still rooting suckers. This week
is
time to begin seeding the fall turnips and beets for this clime.

James