homestead - Re: [Homestead] Plant ID

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Plant ID
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 19:31:23 -0800

The Black Baldy will grade with more marbling than the all Holstein and have a whiter fat. He *might* grow a little slower but he'll finish real nice. They're a good cross for raising market beef.

When we had our place out in Windsor, we bought up a bunch of Holstein dairy cows when the feds told the dairymen to sell or else. Picked them up for just about pennies. We had a registered horned Hereford bull that had been one of the kidlets' 4-H projects and those calves all graded Prime.

We really like that cross for our butcher shop.

Lynda
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>

Very funny :>) They are auction calves. I know the one is all Holstein, but
the other is smaller and his face makes him look like a cross, I think he
is. Either way, they eat ok.