homestead - Re: [Homestead] Plant ID

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Plant ID
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 21:21:06 -0400

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Lynda <lurine AT com-pair.net> wrote:

> Picture #4 would be Holstein, Hostein cross calves with the one on the left
> commonly being called a Black Baldy which would make it a Holstein/Hereford
> cross in all likelihood <g>

Very funny :>) They are auction calves. I know the one is all Holstein, but
the other is smaller and his face makes him look like a cross, I think he
is. Either way, they eat ok.

> On a serious note, picture #1 is a digitaria (crabgrass). There are 300
> varieties and all kinds of locally hybridized, so they can be as varied as
> all get out.
>

> #2 looks like Alopecurus pratensis L., aka Tufted Meadow Foxtail

This is what I think, also after Lynn and you said it was, I was able to
look up pictures and sure looks like that. It's coming up in my field that
I'm rehabilitating. I'm going to put most of that to grass/clover anyway,
so I guess planning this as part of the mix would be good. It grows good in
summer.

> #3 will take more investigation. I'll actually have to look in my books
> <g>

That is the tough one. I can't find anything like it. It's leaves almost
look like a lespedeza, but seeded some annual lespedeza in the pasture this
year and it's sure not that. I think that the little flowers are purple. I'm
waiting for it to bloom. It's leaves look a lot like some sort of legume.
I'll try to get a leaf closeup tomorrow.

Rob - Va