homestead - Re: [Homestead] Three dozen czars...who's the boss?

  • From: Marie McHarry <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Three dozen czars...who's the boss?
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 00:18:45 -0500

At least our Congress critters have stood up to Obama on one of his
signing statements (something to do with the IMF).

It's a pity no one in Congress stood up during the increasing power of
the imperial presidency when Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, and Bush II were
president. It started before them but then it got a lot worse.

Republicans used to be useful in reining in huge power grabs and
expansion of government, but then -- after 40 years in the wilderness
-- they went all gaga over their own guy coming into power, and it's
been downhill ever since.

I got my new scythe (yeah, the recent discussion of scythes finally
got me off my butt and into getting a scythe from the Scythe
Connection folks). I have an old American scythe that badly needs
sharpening, and once I get the hang of using the new one, I'll see if
the old one can be resurrected or should be hung on the wall as a
decoration (did I ever mention how off-putting I find the use of old
but still useful tools as decorations?

I wish the term 'czar' would be excised from public discourse unless
we want to also bring back public floggings to make the serfs get in
line.

Marie