homestead - Re: [Homestead] FYI -- Food Irradiation

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] FYI -- Food Irradiation
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 13:15:43 -0400

That is not a concern for us, because when we lose power, we also lose
the ability to pump water. We have a generator setup specifically for
the well. The check valve is good though.
My big worry is to have some kind of notice-an in house alarm of sorts,
in the event the bulb burns out-which it will.

We have a UV purifier. We got it when we had the dairy; it was an unusually wet spring and some kind of contamination got into the well. We also didn't want to clorinate the well.

The bulb is supposed to be replaced every year, long before it burns out. The company says that the bulb becomes less effective as it ages, so needs to be replaced. Those bulbs are not cheap. I don't replace them every year..I often go two or three years, and I rarely notice the difference. I think we only get contamination in the well under certain rare weather conditions. One really wet year, I got unexplained digestive problems, changed the bulb, and the problems went away.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA