homestead - [Homestead] Broccoli and garden update

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Broccoli and garden update
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 13:24:44 -0400

I'm still getting florets from my broccoli, but a few plants are flowering and it is mostly done. I've picked two cabbages, and the snails and slugs are taking over so I may not get another full sized head. I will probably go ahead and harvest the heads at half size, just to save them. I've put out traps, but there are just too many. It is THE disadvantage to having mulch beds. Like Rob, I am also seeing cabbage moths. The problem with slugs should get better every year as the mulch becomes soil. Today was the first day that I have picked cauliflower. I brought in a few medium sized heads to roast.
We've had so much rain that the weeds are getting voracious. Thankfully, I did mulch around plants, but the weeds are starting to poke through. I have weeding to do.
This morning I picked a mess of English peas, and I would say I am at pea peek. The plants are still flowering, but it will soon be too warm for peas. After Mr. Rabbit came through, I am lucky that I have peas at all. I took a 80% loss to what I planted on English peas, and a 100% loss on snow peas.
My tomatoes are now a foot tall or so and they look good. The corn is anywhere from 8" to 15" tall. Both the Calais and the Golden Midget had zero germination, old seed, so all I have left to plant is Bloody Butcher, which I know is good<g>. As soon as the soil dries a bit, it will go in.
All the beans are doing well, and the second round of lettuces are almost ready for cutting. I did not time it right, so we have not had salads for about 3 weeks now. Live and learn. I can tell that the carrots are growing well, and the beets are a bit larger than 1.5" in diameter. Chard is almost ready to cut again, and finally my cukes, butternuts, sweet potatoes, watermelons, and honeydews are taking off to vine. I noticed this morning that the NZ spinach and okra had germinated, and that the peppers I transplanted last Saturday are doing well.
As to failures, you guessed it-Brussels sprouts. Again, nice plants, no sprouts, but I can see pea sized beginnings of sprouts, just nothing more, both on the plants I left the leaves on and on the plants I removed the leaves. The other failure was my sunflower seeds. I have about 10 pounds of seed that will now go to the birds. Grrrr.
I sowed some Emerald Artichokes-there were 8 seeds in the packet- and I await their germination. I know where I will place 5 of them.

Bev
--
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

--Cicero, 55 BC
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/