homestead - Re: [Homestead] The Morning Show at Heartwood

  • From: Lisa Kae Van Meter Perry <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The Morning Show at Heartwood
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 18:09:41 -0400

I enjoyed that, Gene.

Hello everyone,

Here in Floyd, Virginia, several worms were spied wriggling free to the
surface this afternoon where though it was hard to tell, they are so small,
we believe they were saying, "Uncle!" Seems even the worms have had enough
of recent monsoon season. Though everyone around here knows "We need the
rain," the county is beginning to resemble a Costa Rican jungle.

The pond is full, all kidding aside. If we receive more flash flood weather
within a few days the pond will be overly full--a new experience to us.

We are finally putting up a deer-proof fence. We're using treated 12' posts
and 8' heavy duty black plastic deer fence. As Scott says, we've "planting"
posts 2' deep. Needless to say, acupuncture and massage for his shoulder &
back are part of the plan. Our total cost will be just less than half what
we were quoted last fall by two fence companies, including the visit to the
chinese med clinic. Right now, with posts sticking up outside the current
fence by 3' or so, it looks like we're building a maximum security garden
prison. The posts are overkill, but we aim to do this job once and to make
it last a good, long time. We wanted it to be good and sturdy, husband
didn't trust the metal t-bars. We're going to see if 8' will do first if
not, we have room to run wire across the top to make it a true 10'
non-jumpable fence.

I've got a slow start on my garden--mostly due to the fence issue--didn't
want to plant things and then lose them to deer--trying hard to not guilt
myself too much. There's still time. I have seedlings and plants waiting for
this weekend.

We consumed amazing marinated deer steaks cooked on a basic charcoal grill
last weekend. Oh, but they were good. Even this part-time vegetarian enjoyed
one.

And like lots of you on this list, we just enjoyed our 20th anniversary
yesterday. Doesn't seem like it until we take a look at the resident 19
year-old (who has another long-term house sitting job upcoming--yippee!).
Youngest son is in a play this weekend.

Take care, everyone.

Lisa
SureWet VA