homestead - Re: [Homestead] Broccoli and garden update

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Broccoli and garden update
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 19:59:45 -0400

> As to failures, you guessed it-Brussels sprouts. Again, nice plants, no
> sprouts,

My big failure is English peas. I prepped the ground well, it got ashes over
winter, lots of composted manure worked in. Just wasn't a pea year I guess.
I know all years are not good for peas, but I'm beginning to think that I
have a lot to do with these pea failures. This fall, I'm preparing the pea
plot early.

Another failure is the red granex onions. They sell them all around here.
They are a short day onion and they just go to seed and don't really grow
much for me. Lettuce is not so great, but starting. It's late for lettuce
to be starting.

I'm making a salad bed that will be my lettuce planting area.

Tomatoes, snap beans, squash are looking good.

Rob - Va