homestead - Re: [Homestead] Broccoli

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Broccoli
  • Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 17:22:39 EDT

> I'm growing broccoli raab, which is
actually a turnip, I think. I'm not sure how frost tolerant it is,

Utterly. You could grow it on a glacier.

And it is indeed a trunip, brassica rapa. The 'rapa' is the same root word
as 'rape' as in 'rapeseed' (although 'rape' is 'brassica napus') and also
'rapunzel', the fairy story character's name is 'little turnip'.

> >I also found a bag of fingerling potatoes (2 pounds for $2.99) in the
> .

I did that too. Found some red skinned yellow finerlings in the mart and
chitted them in the window before planting. I've had good luck in the past
with grocery store potatoes.

James