homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dog is sick

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dog is sick
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 00:36:33 -0400

I'm sorry you are going through this, too. The only decision I could make is to put him down, but it would be tough. Been there-felt guilty about not having the money to fix the dog-it would have required a second mortgage for us-especially after he had saved my life by taking snakebites meant for me(how do you put a price on that?), but we had spent more on that dog than anyone should spend on a pet, and we were just tapped out in the end. Since you have kids, I wouldn't take chances on the break puncturing the skin. That would be traumatic for the kids and the dog.
If you haven't made a decision by tomorrow, get another vet opinion on the cast option. Dogs are tough. There are plenty of three legged dogs around-if it a bad break, perhaps amputation is another possibility?

Bev

Robert Walton wrote:
Today stinks but I'm sure there is a lesson to be learned and a silver
lining somewhere, but for now, I can't see it.

That sure stinks, Lisa, I feel for you. It's hard when the dog has
been a faithful friend, and they start having age issues. When I had
to put down my dog Shadow last fall, the vet told me we treat our pets
better than our elderly; it's true a lot of times.

Hang in there.

Rob - Va