homestead - Re: [Homestead] Speaking of Pain management

  • From: Marie McHarry <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Speaking of Pain management
  • Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 11:17:05 -0500

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Lynda <lurine AT com-pair.net> wrote:

> Her answer is "we'll test your thyroid."  Huh?  And when he asks about
> *doing* something about pain (thinking PT, chiro, TENS, ultrasound, pain
> management clinics, etc.), she says, "oh, you'll get YOUR OWN [emphasis was
> her's] ibuprophen."  Ah, like because the prescription is in his name it
> will work better?

Good grief. Anyway, ibuprofen is OTC (you just take more pills to get
the dose). I'm switching doctors myself since the only one I have
right now prescribed Zoloft when I talked to her nurse about something
short-term for the stress that the current office insanity is causing.
I was more concerned about atrial fib and a racing pulse and -- and
this is new to me -- migraines that start in the middle of the
afternoon and are about 9s on a 1 to 10 scale. No office visit or
phone consult to tell me that the Zoloft wouldn't work for weeks. To
her credit, she did know that I'm seeing a counselor (not that I put
much confidence in counselors either, but this one is very supportive,
and I'll need her if I need to take a leave -- and it may come to that
as management is putting the screws to us in major ways that interfer
with the work and have slowed our ability to help clients). As some of
you may remember, I've been through some tough situations, but this
work thing is more stressful even than the 10 days that Jim lay dying.
Management has gone on full out assault, and of course, yours truly
can't keep her mouth shut. I will send you clips when the shit hits
the media, which it will.

Oh, yeah, and back to the subject at hand. I have a fair amount of
pain myself. For the ortho problems, I've been fortunate enough to
have superior PT; these women have worked with me to develop overall
good body movement, posture, etc. It's done good things. Also, every
ortho surgeon and therapist has said that moving the offending parts
correctly is the best therapy. If the pain is still overwhelming, the
feds are now allowing real drugs to be used. My BIL has severe pain in
an arm that was paralyzed in a motorcycle accident 30 years ago, and
he takes morphine for it. It's the first thing that's given him any
relief in years.

Before Vioxx was taken off the market that worked well for me. Now, if
I can barely move, I take Ibuprofen, but only day by day. Since worked
turned into a disaster, I've been walking (with the two other
ringleaders) on breaks and at lunch. We walk really fast, and I'm sure
that's done more than Zoloft ever could because most days I almost
feel normal. I'm seriously tempted to quit, but I have 3 years before
Medicare will kick in, and I spent too many years figuring out how to
take care of Jim and his advanced heart disease without insurance to
want to do that to myself. Yeah, I'm in better shape -- by miles --
than he was, but I don't want to go there if I don't have to. Besides,
I think we have a good chance of getting these freaking incompetents
removed (they're all Blagjevich hires), and I want the satisfaction.

Speaking of Blago, I was disappointed that the judge didn't let him go
to Costa Rica. I have every confidence that he could have solved
everyone's problem by falling in a river and drowning or being bitten
by a poisonous bug.

Marie