homestead - Re: [Homestead] Pain management

  • From: "Jeanne Driese" <jeanne13 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Pain management
  • Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 01:24:14 -0000

From: EarthNSky
To: Homestead List
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2009 5:17 AM
Subject: [Homestead] Pain management

I saw my rheumatologist yesterday-regular visit. I've been having more
flares recently, mostly in my feet, with sore, tender, growing nodules
at my metacarpophalangeal joints of my forefingers on both hands.

Bev.
Over the years that I have dealt with pain....these are the things I have
noticed. The elimination of sugar. Especially in soft drinks, of course the
diet stuff is even worse.
If fact it was just about 3 weeks ago I went on a candy and processed food
binge..
Had to use a cane to get up my stairs.
Eating lots of greens in a raw state or as close to raw as you can get,
gives me more energy and a sense of well being.
When I do something stupid like move a 50 pound bag of something and get to
hurting I use a salve called Aches Away. It is strong enough to make your
eyes water if you get it to close to your face. A friend of mine makes
soaps and salves and I have never found any better. Look up
www.sweethollowfarm.com
and look under salves. The ingredients are listed for all of her
products, I think.
This weekend she is doing a 2 day fair at Exchange Place in Kingsport, TN
so might not get to you before the weekend is over if you are thinking about
sending an order.
Other things I use are meditations when I go to bed. One of my favorites
is one on the chakra system. By the time I get through about three of the
seven I am sound asleep. There are lots of CDs on healing music, that I use
too. In fact if has been years since I have just laid down and fallen
asleep. My mind drives me batty as well as pain sometimes. Participating in
something keeps my mind quiet as well as off the pain.
Going to bed around 10 pm is good too as the hours between 10 and midnight
are supposed to be when your body does its regeneration thing the best.
Doing the ginger and turmeric thing is a big help for me too.
Of course I could get my knees replaced and supposedly be in much better
shape, but I just can't get over my fear of hospitals,
Also the day that I go over 180 my body starts to let me know. Sort of
like a warning alarm...keeps me on a decent food path most of the time. It
seems that I read somewhere that for every pound you are overweight is adds 4
pounds to the knee joints.
Pain can keep one on a pretty narrow path sometimes!!
So there you have my 2 cents worth on the subject of pain.
Jeanne