homestead - Re: [Homestead] Michihili Chinese Cabbage

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Michihili Chinese Cabbage
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 14:09:02 EDT

> > It is an ingenious idea. When I get home I am going to practice with
> real seeds. Not sure the old fingers are agile enough but I am going to
> try!!

My fingers aren't that much younger than yours!

Maybe I ought to do a YouTube of this. You hold your hand with the two
middle fingers against the palm and the index finger, pinkie, and thumb
forming
that sign language "I love you" sign. Holding some seeds against the palm
with the middle fingers, the tumb reaches down and rolls two or three seeds
up the index finger until they are pinched between the index finger and
thumb. At this point the base of the thumb is sealing off the seeds in the
palm
against falling out.

You punch the dirt with the pinkie because you want the thumb and
indexfinger to stay clean and dry otherwise the seeds stick there and don't
fall into
the hole. When the bed (or container) you are planting isn't so wide it
requires your left hand to balance or support yourself, you keep the bulk of
seeds in your left hand and refill your right hand as you go along.

If you can't manage rolling up two or three seeds at once, just do one and
repeat the operation on the same hole two or three times.

James