homestead - Re: [Homestead] Potato Question

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Potato Question
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 19:40:35 -0400

I just planted mine a couple of days ago and finished today. I have
not done well with potatoes. This year, I decided to try the "trench
and hill" method. Plowing my garden had left two dead furrows. I added
some composted manure to the trench and ran the rototiller up it. Made
a furrow and planted. I've naturally got lots of soil to pull into the
trench as they grow, it's almost level now, but there is an escape in
case it rains a lot.

I saw a pea up today. I planted broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage
today also. March 25, Bev (for comparison).

These dead furrows are about as straight as I plow ... not too
straight. So I made a decision in the middle of the potato planting,
I'm not going to get crazy about measuring spacing of rows, they are
just going to go in as they can go in ....

Rob - Va