homestead - Re: [Homestead] Disbudding goats

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Disbudding goats
  • Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 10:56:44 -0800

I didn't find that the does were the least bit discriminatory. They bullied anyone and everyone, horns or no horns. Like I said, the Sanaan in particular was a "b".

I've found goats to be a whole lot like children. The very distinct difference is that children can be educated, usually, and goats can't, at least about horns and other animals. Horns and people, yes. Horns and other animals AND PITA goats and fences, no. Well, the other big difference, you can't sell a child down the road or make dogfood out of them if they can't be educated <g>

A goat with horns can be like an uneducated child with a bb gun! Once they have them and learn how to use them, look out! If they have them/it and they have that particular inclination or even a slight inclination, they are dangerous. Yes, a goat without horns can be a bully but they rarely advance to the dangerous stage. And, if they do, well, unlike the child <g> they can be "disposed" of and taking the goat out behind the barn, except to make dog food out of them, doesn't leave a lasting impression!

Besides, like everything else on the homestead, it is the ultimate purpose that dictates what you do. Me, I have two major personality disorders. I am a worry wort and I am a lazy homesteader. I don't want anything to do with anything that creates unnecessary work for me! Hey, that's why I love the lasagna method of gardening and using chickens to weed the garden patch during the winter.

It takes me FAR less time and maintenance to start off doelings by debudding them. I don't have to worry about them getting themselves into stupid situations with the horns, and they will, one way or another. I don't have to worry about one of them having the type of personality that lends itself to being a bully. I don't have to be careful about horns when I'm around them. It takes me far less time and considerable less worry to simply line them up and dehorn them. A whole 5 minutes per kid if you have someone to hold the kid.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>

I know this wasn't your point, but horns or no horns, this should be the fate
of any farm animal that can't behave. We've had hornless goats here too,
ones we bought already without horns. We've never had a goat use its horns
against a hornless one. My point being that it isn't just the natural course of
things that a horned goat will lord over a hornless (unarmed) one. It takes a
goat with a nasty turn to do that. ANY animal with a nasty turn needs to be
disposed of regarless of its horn status.

For example, like most homesteaders we keep a few roosters. They have very
potentially harming spurs. Most roosters would never remotely consider using
those on us or other animals ... but some are of a nasty, aggressive turn and
they do. Said roosters are chicken noodle soup by that evening. We don't
solve the problem or potential problem by cutting off the spurs, we get rid of the
maladjusted animal.

James