homestead - Re: [Homestead] Disbudding goats

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Disbudding goats
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 19:27:37 EDT

> >I'd like to hear from others not on the goat lists.

Right, because you already know what you will hear from people on goat lists.

We've had goats for 18 years around each other, other animals, and small
children. They have all had magnificent horns. There has never been a
mishap of
any kind.

With the possible exception of a goat getting its fool head stuck in field
fencing, the objections that the uber-goat people raise are basically without
merit. When it comes to horns, the IQ of the true believing goat aficionado
drops thirty points. To wit: We contacted and uber-goat person to get a
Nubian
billy (not NOT a 'buck', that's uber-goat talk) and on the website it said
they would sell the month old billy disbudded or not, but if the buyer chose
not have the goat disbudded, there would be an extra $30 charge for the
expense
of keeping the goat in separate quarters so it could not damage its sibs with
its horns. Idiot. Month old goats don't have horns. But it illustrates the
depth of the unexamined bias agaist horns.

How do we stay perfectly safe around goats with horns? Same way people do
with chainsaws and PTO's.

James