homestead - Re: [Homestead] Disbudding goats

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Disbudding goats
  • Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 07:37:21 EDT

> >She became dog food! .... We sold her...

I know this wasn't your point, but horns or no horns, this should be the fate
of any farm animal that can't behave. We've had hornless goats here too,
ones we bought already without horns. We've never had a goat use its horns
against a hornless one. My point being that it isn't just the natural
course of
things that a horned goat will lord over a hornless (unarmed) one. It takes
goat with a nasty turn to do that. ANY animal with a nasty turn needs to be
disposed of regarless of its horn status.

For example, like most homesteaders we keep a few roosters. They have very
potentially harming spurs. Most roosters would never remotely consider using
those on us or other animals ... but some are of a nasty, aggressive turn and
they do. Said roosters are chicken noodle soup by that evening. We don't
solve the problem or potential problem by cutting off the spurs, we get rid
of the
maladjusted animal.

James