homestead - [Homestead] Salmonella

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Salmonella
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 07:36:00 -0700

On Mar 12, 2009, at 4:36 AM, Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:

My chickes run free and have no diseases. I'll even
make mayonaise with raw eggs; I wouldn't do that with store-bought eggs.

I am not sure that is safe, Lynn. I have read that salmonella is transmitted from hen to egg and therefore all her chicks carry it also regardless of their subsequent living conditions. So unless our hens are from salmonella-free, farm-grown hens of many generations they may have the disease within them and in their eggs. If that is so, then it is prudent to not eat raw eggs from hens that are only a few generations removed from any of the big hatcheries.