homestead - Re: [Homestead] tin roof problem

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] tin roof problem
  • Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 13:21:09 -0700

On Mar 8, 2009, at 12:57 PM, Mogrits wrote:

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:
Warren, please educate me on why silicone caulk would be bad for
sealing metal roof nail holes.

Because silicone breaks down in sunlight. Additionally, it loses
adhesion to metal over time. Even the "UV resistant" silicones seem to
shrink with age and eventually pull away.

Thanks. The metal roof on my wood-drying shed I built about twenty- five years ago has a few leaks and I think you have provided the why.