homestead - Re: [Homestead] curcubits

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] curcubits
  • Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 17:42:12 -0800 (PST)

I had to totally redu my layout after reading what can be planted by what.
Fortunately I dug up 4 different garden areas last fall.  I just needed to re
locate where I was going to plant things and change the irrigation layout.

I plan on learning to save seed to save on the expense of ordering, although
will order seeds in the beginning until I feel I've got the seed saving thing
down pat..........

In my desert gardening book, there is a tip............. in the early a/m, go
out and pluck a male stamen(?) from the male flower and insert it into the
female flower (which looks pregnant already) and impregnate her...... one
stamen is suppose to handle 5 females.  Guys, don't get any ideas now...
we're talking about plants ...................

I saw on my zucchini last year a lot of the females didn't mature, so I'm
going to help them along this year.  Same with the other squash.

I'm not expective to have too many plants, so it shouldn't take long.

Totally plum tuckered out this afternoon........... 600 feet x 30 feet first
section of the fire break right to the soil cleared........ by hand over the
last 2 days.

--------

“All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way.
People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes,
and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome.
Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder
respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.” ~ George
Orwell