homestead - Re: [Homestead] [Homestead=trees/fencing

  • From: bobf <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: vdjor AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] [Homestead=trees/fencing
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 08:54:45 -0800 (PST)

Van Dell, maybe the word you are looking for is 'Espalier'. I don't know how
it would work with hedges as fences. The one thing about the osage ornage is
the spiners. I doubt many anuimals and probably no liovestock could get
through. I've seen very thick and tall hedge fences of everything from
Azaleas to oleanders , but I would suppose some animals could eventually eat
through those, osgage orange is not pleanant to encounter , even a couple of
bushes at the time. I have an old book somewhere, where espalier techniques
are used to make shrubbery look like 'things' (animals, etc.)

Someone else will probably have an answer before my post pops up. I'm
notic9ing from an hour to several hours lag between when I post and when it
appears on the list. I would like to learn more about natural fencing if you
learn of a good site or other reference.