homestead - Re: [Homestead] Asparagus

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Asparagus
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 14:23:15 -0500

So from what Gene, Bev and Sage wrote, sounds like I need to be sure I
plant it where I want and the 18 " centers wide bed idea I have will
work. Sounds at least along the same idea as your beds.

My concern over shading is that it would be on the south side of the
garden in east-west rows. I guess if I use rails or rope to prop it up
I can keep the ferns to there area, but I'm wondering if the height of
it would cast shade on the next couple of rows.

I might be better to place it at the north of the garden running
east-west, that way it would only cast shade on the fence.

I'm going to use my plow to open the two trenches, Move dirt to the
center on two furrows, creating a ridge in the center, then pulling
another furrow out on each of the trenches to create a ridge of dirt
on the outside. I'll put some well rotted manure in the trenches and
plant. Eventually the mounded soil will get put back in the trenches,
creating a bit of a mound over the whole area.

The mound is important, cause the area is on a bit of a slope.
Anything to slow down runoff there.

Has anyone added anything else, bone meal, etc to the trench?

Rob - Va