homestead - Re: [Homestead] Asparagus

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Asparagus
  • Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 11:55:03 -0600

Rob, our bed is six years old and planted in two trenches and staggered as you are considering. Here the fronds grow taller than my head, and we have a wooden rail fence to keep them from flopping over on our other beds.

You can see the narrow wood rails in the very back of this picture, although the asparagus is not up yet.
http://flowerweaver.blogspot.com/2008/03/winter-greens.html

You can see them to the right in this picture, although the asparagus has already been cut back. We are using the same thing here on the right to tie our black berry canes up.
http://friocanyonhealthyharvest.blogspot.com/2009/01/raised-beds-and-onions.html

So, you don't need to space the asparagus that far away from your other beds if you are willing to corral them. Before we built this structure they were flopping over a good 4 feet. If you are worried about shade, plant the row east west. Here, we can use all the shade we can get, so our rows go north south. In our case the asparagus shades the next bed only in the morning.

--Sage
Way Out in Texas

Robert Walton wrote:
I'm planting 40 asparagus roots this spring. At 18 inches apart,
that's 60 row feet I need to plant them. I'm thinking about making two
trenches, 18 inches apart to plant in. I'd stagger the roots so that
all the roots would be 18 inches apart.

I saw this planting method suggested in a Virginia extension
publication to establish a wide row.

Any thoughts from those more experienced with asparagus?

The other thing I'm thinking about is shading. Does asparagus grow so
high that it's going to shade out plantings on the north side of the
row?

Rob - Va