homestead - Re: [Homestead] Asparagus

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Asparagus
  • Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 13:31:18 -0500

Mine is intensively planted in a 6x12 bed. Essentially yes, mine are
also 18" apart, but now 10 years on, they are merging as they should.
I'd say they are maybe a foot apart now. This has worked for me. As to
shading, my bed is in full sun. The ferny asparagus is so delicate that
it shades the ground, keeping it moist, but because it is tall, sun is
never a problem. My 6x12 bed is oriented long side NS.
I'm going to be planting more asparagus, too. When I first created my
bed, I was the only one who ate it..now, both DH and DD like it. :)

Bev

Robert Walton wrote:
I'm planting 40 asparagus roots this spring. At 18 inches apart, that's 60 row feet I need to plant them. I'm thinking about making
two trenches, 18 inches apart to plant in. I'd stagger the roots so
that all the roots would be 18 inches apart.

I saw this planting method suggested in a Virginia extension publication to establish a wide row.

Any thoughts from those more experienced with asparagus?

The other thing I'm thinking about is shading. Does asparagus grow so
high that it's going to shade out plantings on the north side of the
row?

homestead list member options: http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/erthnsky%40bellsouth.net
View the archives at: https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/homestead

- Release Date: 2/6/2009 5:28 PM

--
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will
not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius

~ Calvin Coolidge