homestead - [Homestead] Planning Fields

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Planning Fields
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 14:13:11 -0500

I'm finally at the point where I've got the time to divide up the
front 7 acres of my land. It's all one big field, but it's hilly land
so it's not just so easy to divide it up into areas that make sense
and can easily be tilled, etc.

I measured and marked off a plan today that would be a start at this
and leave 4 acres or so just as is for pasture.

I end up with three 1/2 acre fields. One is nice bottom land, one is
long and narrow, flat at the top of the hill. The other is irregular,
sloped to the south.

This plan came about because of the strip of trees I'm going to plant
where it's trying to erode off the side of the hill. I have that in
there and then the rest of the area, I can divide up in to similar
pastures or fields when I get around to it. Until then it's all one
pasture.

I'm thinking that a 1/2 acre field is a good size. Makes a nice small
pasture to rotate and is big enough to plant crops in. One reason that
I wanted to dived in to (roughly) 1/2 acre plots it to be able to know
how much seed or what ever I'd need to plant.

What sizes of fields are others using?

Rob - Va