homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chickens

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chickens
  • Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 17:39:56 -0500

Sage Austin | Eureka! Design wrote:
Yes, not entirely white. Maybe they look like limestone rocks to the predators. Notice under the comments on McMurray they mention high-strung for this breed. That's an understatement. Not only did these birds manage to evade the jaws of Nile alligators, they probably plucked the poor reptiles out of the water and dined on them!

LOL, I wouldn't doubt it! They most certainly got revenge on the eggs.
They are very pretty birds. I think the multi-color breaks up the
outline and possibly confuses airborne predators...if it blends, and a
hawk is a few inches off the mark, the chicken lives another day. :)
--
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will
not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius

~ Calvin Coolidge