homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chickens

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chickens
  • Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 15:26:30 -0600

Yes, not entirely white. Maybe they look like limestone rocks to the predators. Notice under the comments on McMurray they mention high-strung for this breed. That's an understatement. Not only did these birds manage to evade the jaws of Nile alligators, they probably plucked the poor reptiles out of the water and dined on them!

EarthNSky wrote:
Sage Austin | Eureka! Design wrote:
EarthNSky wrote:
In a open environment, a white bird might as well carry a sign that
says I AM DINNER to all winged and toothed predators. :)
We have only four white chickens, Avo the rooster that lives with his
"fuzzy hens" the sheep, two annoying Egyptian Fayoumis with
"attitude" and a light Sussex, which seems more dumb than bad to the
bone. None have been eaten by predators in the two years we've had
them, but as a vegetarian I've considered offing them on several
occasions.

You are too funny Sage.

<snip>
If you want white chickens IMO no predator is willing to tangle with,
then the Egyptian Fayoumis are for you. They've managed to survive
since Biblical times on the Nile. They aren't very big, but they lay
big white eggs quite consistently.

I had to look up that breed..I usually keep brown egg layers so the
white egg layers are new to me. I went to poultrysite and Murray
McMurray and the pictures I saw show a multi-colored bird, not all
white..those babies look ADORABLE!

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/Fayu/BRKFayoumi.html
http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/egyptian_fayoumis.html

I know the desert isn't all that white, but it isn't all that green
either...perhaps they blend in better with the surroundings in a desert
like environment than in a temperate forest?
My 'white' birds are almost 98% white. They each have this odd splash
of black at random places, but they are mostly white. Now, I do have
one bird, beautiful girl, that is marked a bit like your hens, with the
slight barring on her back half and a white head. She's beautiful, and
I plan to keep her.

Bev