homestead - [Homestead] Woodworking joints

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Woodworking joints
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 11:13:39 -0700

All four of the screen doors at Heartwood are made with half-lap joints. I used that joinery design because it is far easier to make compared to mortise and tenon and obviously stronger than doweling. Call me lazy.

So I was happy for hearing my brother tell me that an article in one of his woodworking magazines did a research test on the various joining methods, including the above and biscuits, and found that the half-lap joint is the strongest.

If anyone has ever tried to take apart a half-lap joint, they will nod in agreement. Modern glue well applied results in a joint that if wrenched apart will rip wood from opposing sides.

I have been happy with the screen doors, two of cedar, one pine, one cherry. Door joints take a helluva beating; they are stressed each time a door is slammed and no doors are more regularly slammed than screen doors. I know I am not alone in enjoying the sound. If the door maker is clever and fine tunes, there will be a double slap, first loud then gentle, when a screen door let go at it widest opening. Whee! Here I come, world!

The only criticism one might make of the half-lap is that end grain is exposed. Beauty being in the eye of the admirer, aesthetics is a personal judgement. As for me, I find exposed construction to be beautiful.

Gene GeRue
www.RURALIZE.com

  • [Homestead] Woodworking joints, Gene GeRue, 02/05/2009